Sunday, September 8, 2013

Grabbing every last opportunity

Darkness is coming earlier and a cool breeze is wafting through our open windows - fall is coming and we're grabbing every last opportunity that we can to enjoy summer.

A couple of weeks ago we had the pleasure of visiting with my Great-Aunt Rita from California.  This is the first time she met the kiddos and Hadley really turned on the charm - singing, smiling and giving lots of hugs.  Rita loved it.  She's such a kind and classy lady - I hope I have a few ounces of that when I'm 90!

Hadley staring admiringly at Rita
We spent the long, Labor Day weekend at the cabin and enjoyed all sorts of sunshine and outdoor adventures.  This was the first time that the whole gang was there - all my siblings and all 6 grandchildren.  We lounged around the pool, fished, pontooned and celebrated 4 birthdays.







My brother takes everything in stride.  A dog, a two-year old, a newborn and his beer - no problem.

Grandpa's lap - the best seat in the house.


There were lots of birthday festivities including a mustached-out family photo, birthday pop culture trivia, more cake and treats than we could eat and lots of cheer.


Mike and Miles actually look pretty good with mustaches.

In fact, Miles liked his so much he wore it all afternoon.  He later added one on his forehead to look like a unibrow.

The kids table


The annual cousins cabin picture - last year there were 4 - now there are 6!

When we returned we celebrated Mike's birthday with presents and pumpkin pie.


The funnies...
A conversation during dinner
Miles:  God made me not like blueberries.
Me:  No, God made blueberries.  He wants you to eat them to grow big a strong.
Hadley:  Remember when Jesus hit me in the face?  He hit me and then had to take a break.
............................................................
Tonight, Hadley cradled her dinner fork and pretended it was baby Rylan.  She told us "shhh - he's sleeping" and then proceeded to sing happy birthday to it as she patted it gently.
...........................................................
Miles threw a penny into a fountain at the Arboretum today then turned around and hugged me.  He said, "you know what I wished for?  That you're my friend mommy."  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker