Sunday, November 22, 2009

Ready or Not Our Baby is Growing!

Daren, my Godson, digging into his 1st birthday cake.

Mike, Miles and Ruby working on laundry.

Giving the little bear a hug.

Doing great on tummy time!

Is Miles in there?

Grandma and Miles time!

Cousins holding hands.

Cousin Corey invited Miles to hang out in his crib.

Lucky mama and auntie!

4 Month Doctor's Visit
Miles had his 4 month well-baby visit this week at Wayzata Children's Clinic. His stats are:
  • Height: 24 1/2 inches (25%)
  • Weight: 15 lbs 6.5 oz (55%)
  • Head: 42.7 cm (65%)

My conclusion from these statistics - he's a healthy eater with a big brain! Miles got another round of immunizations which he took like a champ - he only screamed for a few minutes after getting poked 3 times in the legs. The only surprise we had was the doctor recommended starting Miles on solids any time. The signs that a baby is ready for real food are: is 4-6 months old, can hold head steady when sitting with support, is not satisfied by nursing alone, shows interest in family members eating and starts to put things in mouth. Miles meets all of these criteria except for not being satisfied by nursing alone. Even though the doctor said Miles could start eating rice cereal and other fruits and vegetables anytime I'm not ready! Miles is growing so fast that I want to keep him a little baby a few weeks longer. If I can work myself up to this transition we'll start solids within the next month or so. Stay tuned for messy food pictures!

The week's activities

Monday was our last 0-5 month ECFE class. We're sad that we won't get to see all of our school friends again until January but will be getting together for playdates with a few little ones and their moms soon.

Tuesday I hosted book club. We read and discussed The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. It's amazing - this book club, a core group of 7 women, has been meeting monthly for almost 5 years now. In those 5 years almost all of us have transitioned to new jobs, 2 people have gotten married, 5 babies have been born with another on the way and a few people have embarked on the graduate school adventure. I'm hoping we last another 5 years because it's so nice to have the support of other women experiencing the same life moments as you.

Wednesday I took the day off of work to take Miles to the doctor. After the shots we had a low key day at home.

I have now officially gone down to 90% of full-time at work so have every Friday off. Miles and I visited his new daycare (as of January). I am viewing the world of daycares completely differently now that Miles is a reality - not just a miracle inside of me. Going to grandma and grandpa Nickolay daycare everyday has spoiled us all - Miles is so well loved and cared for that transitioning to a regular daycare where he is one of several babies will be a little rough. Mike is going to take Miles and visit also within the next few weeks. We'll post our thoughts on this once his visit takes place. On a happier note we went to lunch with my mom, sister and baby Corey to Good Day Cafe in Golden Valley. If I thought one baby attracts a lot of attention toting in 2 babies doubles this! There was a lot of oohhing and ahhing over the little cousins. That night Mike, Miles and I drove to Union Hill for my Godson, Daren's first birthday. He's such a sweet boy. One of the joys of attending 1st birthdays is watching the little person of honor dig into their first piece of birthday cake. Daren took his time at first with his piece - he would swipe one finger through the frosting and taste it. Before long though that whole piece of cake was stuck to the side of his face. Happy birthday Daren!

Comings and Going this Weekend
I've been wanting to get professional pictures taken of Miles for a few months now. It's been on my mind and I finally booked time with a photographer because I figured I would regret it eventually if I didn't properly capture all of these special baby moments. We bought a package so we'll get pictuers taken of Miles 4 times within his first year and a half. Miles was a doll at the shoot and cooperated very nicely. Like every parent, I think my own little one is so cute. I can't wait to see the pictures but have to wait in suspense until December 4 to view them. Saturday night Mike and I went out together for only the 2nd time since Miles was born! We first volunteered at a benefit for Fraser. It was a beautiful gala event with a Moroccan theme held at the Hilton Minneapolis Hotel. Mike and I helped to check guests in for a night of auction bidding, dinner and dancing. After our shift we walked across the street and had a nice dinner at Vincent A Restaurant on Nicollet Avenue. I marked the occasion with my first glass of wine since getting pregnant with Miles.

Today we took advantage of the mild fall weather and got out for a walk and had my parents over for a meal of comfort food - chicken, roasted brussel sprouts and my first attempt at making Czech potato dumplings, a food I grew up eating. To make them you mash potatoes and mix that with flour, egg and salt. Then you form balls with the dough and boil them. This may not sound very appetizing or healthy but they are so delicious! I hope that Miles will like them someday too.

As we spend time with our family this coming week we hope that everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving!


1 comment:

  1. Sarah, Czech potato dumplings were the first thing that Brian told me that I HAD to learn how to make, they are really good! We love reading your blog. It is nice to get updates on the Nickolay's since we live so far away.

    ReplyDelete

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker