Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sigh of Relief

The 2 buddies hanging out by the gate waiting for mom to come upstairs.

Miles loves petting and hugging Ruby.

Pals.

Our big boy has moved on to whole apples!
Well, gnawing on the apple cores anyway.


Yum!

Ready for the park on a lazy, pj Sunday.


Tuesday morning we woke Miles up early and brought him to Ridgeview Hospital in Waconia in his jammies to have surgery to get tubes placed in his ears. We checked in at 6:45 am and were taken back to a children's waiting and recovery area. It was glass encased, so Miles could easily see out but couldn't escape, with toys and a large teddy bear that Miles gave a few hugs to. Miles received a little ID bracelet around his ankle and the surgical team came and talked to us. They were very professional and comforting and when the anesthesiologist gave Miles a high five my fears for the morning were greatly eased. At 7:45 he was taken back by the nurses to surgery and Mike and I settled into the waiting room. At 7:50 (yes, 5 minutes later) we were called back to talk to the ENT - the surgery was over. He reported everything went smoothly and Miles actually didn't have any fluid in his ears at the time of the procedure. He was in recovery and we would be able to see him shortly. At about 8:10 we went back to the children's recovery area. A nurse was holding Miles and he was crying and his little head was wavering around. They said that he was dizzy from the anesthesia. I cuddled him on my lap and he calmed down immediately. Just like Miles, he was acting like he wanted to get down off of my lap and walk around so we turned on Dora the Explorer which was a good distraction so he could recover peacefully on my lap. The nurses checked on him and at 8:45 told us he was doing so well that we could go home. Once home, Miles took a 2 hour nap and that afternoon he played and walked around like he had never had surgery. We were so thankful that everything went well and that he recovered so quickly. The experience surpassed by expectations. We received great care at the hospital and now hope that the tubes will work and we will be ear infection free this fall and winter.
The rest of the week played out like normal and we had a fairly low key weekend. Today we got outside for a long walk around Lake Susan with a stop at the toddler playground. Miles can now go down the slide (on his belly, feet first) by himself and attempted to climb a ladder (he hung out on the first rung).
Over the last week or so we've noticed that his separation anxiety has increased. Going to daycare, ECFE or a play date he'll cry and cling to me if he thinks I might leave or put him down. This is a new stage for us and Miles - up to this point he has been pretty easy going and hasn't experienced that much separation anxiety. This is however a normal stage in his development so I'm sure it will pass.

3 comments:

  1. I am so gald that the surgery went well. I hope it helps him feel better through cold/flu season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here was our past week... Last Tuesday was 1st day of MOPS - aka: play group. Daren walked right into his childcare room. I walked in & he clung on to me with 1 hand & played with the other. I would take a step away and he came with adding a little "oh you're not going anywhere mom" whimper. I snuck out after about 5 min which he knew was going to happen. I just kept going knowing there was a tear or 2. He was fine.
    On Wednesday he went to the childcare room at the fitness center. I couldn't even put him down he was holding on for dear-life. After 5 min I put him down looked him in the sad -I know what's going to happen eyes- and said "Mom is going to leave now and you are going to stay here and play." He sadly stood up and turned to get a toy. I walked out the door knowing he was watching me out of the corner of his eye seeing if I would really do it. No tears on Wednesday!
    THE THINGS THEY PUT US THROUGH!!!! And they say labor is tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah! We were out of town this weekend so Shawn did not go to the other thing! Sounds like Miles is feeling better, so maybe a play date in the near future?

    ReplyDelete

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker