Sunday, April 21, 2013

Mamarazzi is getting serious

Since the birth of Miles I have taken 1000s of pictures - hundreds a week of the kids - all in auto mode on our expensive digital SLR camera.  I obviously love photographing the kids.  Capturing that one shot that magnifies their little personalities and records how beautiful they are makes me so happy.  I've decided to take my passion to the next level and actually learn how to use this complicated computer that takes pictures - aka my camera.  I spent 6 hours yesterday at the Minneapolis Photo Center learning and practicing.  The class I took taught me first and foremost that I really suck as a photographer (on the bright side I have lots of opportunities for improvement).  I also feel that every dollar we've spent on professional photographers has been worth every penny because these people are geniuses!  If you think I'm exaggerating - I'm not - my photos were the ones used in class as examples of what not to do.  With all of that said and my photography self-esteem the size of a gnat I forged ahead and practiced the rest of the weekend - never cheating and flicking the wheel to auto mode.  I took 386 pictures in the last 32 hours and the ones below are the only halfway decent, not-too-blurry ones I got.  That's about a 4.5% success rate but I have to start somewhere.  I'm recording all of this because in a year, when I'm taking pictures of the kids like a pro, I hope that I can look back on this post and recognize how far I've come with my hobby.  To any and all photogs - I'm completely open to critiques and advice.

Before I get to the photos I'll share some kid news - because after all, they are the focus of this blog.  Hads has entered that stage where she's wild and crazy and never listens - which drives me wild and crazy too.  Mike and I will be quickly starting to enforce some rules and begin time out time in the hopes that we don't have to repeat 500 times per day "don't stand on the table."  Besides the not listening she had a bit of a rough week with a rash over her entire body that just started clearing up last night.  She also got her fingers pinched in the door twice today - even though we also say 500 times per day "don't play with the doors!"  Miles made me feel better today - in a moment where I was yelling because nobody was listening, I was trying to make lunch for the kids and soup for dinner all at the same time - he came up to me and said "I know what will make you feel better mom..."  and he hugged me. 

I quickly found out who in the house was my most willing, and able-to-sit-still model - Ruby!


Trying to capture speed bike racing in motion.


This is what Hadley did when I asked her to pose for a picture.

My other best willing model is Mike.  Being a wonderful husband he ran back and forth in the cul-de-sac so that I could practice playing with different shutter speeds.

I think this is one of my best photos of the weekend!  Look at the depth of field and my composition isn't horrible!

Hadley will happily model if she's eating ice cream.


These pictures of Miles were captured early in the morning without a flash.  My ISO may be off (ha  - like I really know what I'm talking about - something isn't quite right).  I took this same photo in auto mode, with my flash, with Miles dead center in the photo (which is exactly how I would have taken this photo a few days ago) and it looked horrible - which just encouraged me to keep forging ahead with learning how to take a better picture.

Yes - my excitement got the best of me at 6 am this morning - that's Mike sleeping in the background.







This was my one photo cheat - auto mode all of the way.  The kids were making pizzas and I knew I didn't have 30 minutes to take pictures and adjust settings to capture this fun moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker