Sunday, December 8, 2013

Magic of the Season

Christmas has always been my favorite time of year.  It's at least a month filled with festivities, sprinkly treats, sparkly decorations, twinkly lights and magic.  I love that every day we move a little bear around a holiday house on our advent calendar, run to turn the lights on the tree first thing in the morning, actually enjoy the snow (it's so pretty this time of year) and feel so warm and cuddly peering out from the inside - nestled together with hot chocolate by the fire.

To calm the kids one night as we were getting ready for bed I sang Away in the Manager.
Hadley:  Why didn't Jesus have a bed?
Miles:  Aren't there stores in Heaven?
Me:  Jesus was born on earth in a town called Bethlehem.
Hadley:  I want to buy a crib for baby Jesus.
Me:  Where would you buy a crib?
Hadley:  Costco.

I was sitting at the kitchen counter meal planning for the week and making our grocery list.  I told Miles he could pick his favorite thing to eat and I would make it for one of our dinners.  He requested, "a butter sandwich only filled with butter."

After our visit to Santa today Miles was very concerned that in his shyness he didn't articulate to Santa exactly what he wants for Christmas.  (He just saw an Octonauts toy in the Target ad and even though I've never heard of it he's been obsessing about it ever since and says that's all he wants for Christmas.)  He told me, "Mom, text Santa so he knows what to bring me."  I explained to him that we can't just call Santa and that Santa sees that he's been a good boy and has heard him each time he's said what he wants for Christmas.  

After making homemade sugar cookie dough and cutting out lots of Christmas shapes the decorating began.

Lots of icing and sprinkles makes for very yummy cookies.



We met two of Santa's reindeer today.

This was our first pancake breakfast with Santa.


Hadley's eyes are so expressive  - she's giving me that look.


Mike captured this picture of me and my favorite boy.

Santa gave each of the kids a big candy cane and while Miles crunched his and was done quickly Hadley sucked and slobbered on that thing - savoring every sugary moment.



Ho, ho, ho!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker