Sunday, July 11, 2010

Happy 1st Birthday!

With mama at my birthday party!

I'm happy my Gray Grandparents came from AZ to celebrate with me.

Hey cousin, what's on your head?

The birthday party gang.

Oh boy - what is this?!?

I love cake!

The fun continues...





Is it possible for a year to go by in an instant? It's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that last year at this exact moment Miles and I were experiencing the hard journey of birth together and today my little one turned one year old! Our lives sometimes feel like an amazing race as we navigate the world as a little family of 3 but I try to take in and pause on the many special and ordinary moments - as time really does go by so fast.

This weekend can only be described as a party extravaganza. Saturday morning 25 friends and family gathered at a couples wedding shower for my brother, Matt, and his fiance, Janelle. Rachel and I were happy to host this celebratory event. The weather was beautiful as we had a lovely brunch in the yard, under the trees. Then we did a quick party turnaround because at 3:00 pm Miles' official birthday party started and we were happy to have both sets of grandparents, Godmother Rachel, Godfather Matt, Janelle, Graham, Sharon Huse and little cousin Corey help us celebrate. Miles is so blessed to have so many people who love him.

Looking back at pictures from the party it looks like Christmas morning - gifts and wrapping were strewn everywhere. Miles loves all of the books, toys, blocks, wagon, picnic table and kitchen he received. He's a lucky little boy! We ate some of Miles' favorite foods for dinner. On the menu were: turkey burgers, sweet potato fries, coleslaw, watermelon and of course cake. As I presented Miles with his slice of birthday cake everyone commented how it was kind of a big piece. In true 1 year old birthday form Miles devoured it. He was in sugar heaven. All rules about organic, healthy and sugar-free eating went out the door for the birthday celebration. We also all had fun with the entertainment of watching 2 little babies, Miles and Corey, play and sometimes wrestle together - funny moments included Miles snapping Corey's party hat off of his head, twice and a little friendly baby competition as they both tried to cook in the kitchen.

Today, Miles' true birthday, he was up early and went for a 7:00 am wagon ride outside with cousin Corey. Also, this morning I attended another lovely shower, hosted by aunts Nancy and Jody, while Miles and the guys stayed at our house and played with the new toys. Unfortunately, as the morning progressed, Miles didn't seem like his normal self and has since become sick with a fever and what we think is another ear infection. Being a mother has taught me so many things and today was no different. I wanted everything to be perfect and had these expectations that Miles would just have the best day of his life on his 1st birthday and the life lesson handed to me today was that somethings just don't work out as planned - and I have to me ok with that. This afternoon we spent quiet time cuddling. Miles actually fell asleep snuggled into me, with his head on my shoulder - just like when he was a newborn. Tylenol has helped and he's sleeping comfortably right now. I'm thankful his party was Saturday when he was feeling good.

Happy birthday my little one! This year has been amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker