Sunday, October 2, 2011

Snapshots of our week

We had a good week. Although the busyness of summer is fun and something we look forward to all winter long it's nice to have low-key weekends this fall - down-time is a much valued commodity around our house these days.

Our little doll made a beautiful hat at school this week. Her teachers report that she is as easy going there as she is here. She puts smiles on the faces of everyone that meets her. Today at Target Mike and I thought we'd never get on with our shopping when a couple of workers stopped to admire "what a beautiful baby" she is.
Hads is still sleeping in a crib in our room. She's probably about 12 feet from the foot of our bed. She's so much more aware of her surroundings now that two mornings this week I woke up and looked over at her crib to find that she was cranking her head to peer at me through her crib slats. Her big eyes were just waiting to meet mine.

Here's my little 4 1/2 month old with the "ahh mom - not another picture" expression. How can I resist snapping away when this is my subject? She now handles her pacifier pretty well - juggling it in her hands, guiding it to her mouth and if she can't find it she's happy with her thumb or fingers. Today we had the most perfect fall day. It got to almost 80 degrees this evening. In the morning we went to Excelsior beach - walked along the water, watched the sailboats and played on the playground. The motion of the stroller and the crisp fall air put this girl in a very relaxed state.


Our 2 year old is going on 13 these days. He now will grab my phone and flip it sideways to "text mommy." This morning he was pacing up and down the hallway, talking. I peaked at him and he was on the cell phone. His head was cocked to the side and he was intent in this one-way conversation. The call sounded like this: "Oh...sloppy joes...hi auntie...oh...(smile at mommy)...where my daddy go...ok grandpa." Then the other day I had my work laptop out and he got up on the chair in front of it and said "skype Uncle Matt." It's so cute and funny but also a reflection of how plugged in we are as he is following what he sees.


Here he is at the Linden Hills playground - working hard on the ladder bridge with grandma.

Corey and Miles marched through the leaves for 15 minutes before we had to drag them away for lunch. What's better in the fall then crunching through a big pile of leaves? Between marching back and forth Miles and Corey would stop and stare at the empty pool on the other side of the chain link fence. They remember swimming in it this summer. Here's their conversation:

Miles - "where water go?"

Corey - "water go bye-bye."

Miles - "Corey, where water go?"

Corey - "I don't know."

We're really into boogers, stinky poo-poo and pee-pee talk these days. At about 6:00 am Saturday morning I heard "Daddy, I've got booger. On my thumb!" Miles has also been consistently going pee-pee in the potty before his baths. Today our big boy picked out Thomas the Train underwear and we're going to attempt potty training next weekend. I have a bit of anxiety just thinking about it. It's probably a combination of thinking my baby is getting so big and oh my gosh potty training is going to be an around the clock exercise in parent patience and endurance. Wish us luck!

Our two kiddies like to play together in fits and spurts. Miles mostly goes about his business while Hadley stares at him adoringly but every now and then Miles will stop to play with her. Here he really enjoyed giving her a piggyback ride.

It's hard enough sometimes to separately get a 2 year old and 4 1/2 month old to do what you want in photographs. My attempts at getting good pictures of them together have been more humorous then good quality lately. Here I envisioned these two cuddling on the beach, posing and smiling cutely while I captured the lake and the beautiful fall colors in the background. The reality is this picture. Miles has Hadley in a choke hold during the 1 second that he actually wanted to sit next to her, Mike's shadow is hovering to rescue Hadley at any moment and my shadow is trying to capture the moment and you can't even see the colors in the background. These are parenting moments that we love to laugh at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker